Monday, March 1, 2010

Music Monday- Trapbyall

I've always had a problem with being authentic.  It seems like whenever I find out about a musical niche or subgenre or "scene", I try to imitate it.  Being genuine is one of my biggest challenges as a musician, and I hope that I can find the strength to establish a voice and confidently stand behind it.

Trapbyall inspires me because he has always been genuine.  I've known Jesse since our first year at UCI, and he's always been a passionate visionary, a storyteller, a virtuoso, a revolutionary.  We spent 5 years together on an amazing musical journey, playing tons of shows, recording an album and an EP, rehearsing till 4am in a theater that we would sneak into, constantly pushing and pulling each other to musical experimentation, and ultimately parting ways when our differences became too much to bear.  Looking back at the time we spent, we were two different types of artists.  I was always trying to appeal to everyone.  Jesse was always pushing to tell the most genuine story.

Now we're both on our own musical missions, a little bit older, a little bit wiser, and from the looks of things, a whole lot more motivated.  We don't talk much nowadays, but I know that the next time we see each other, it'll be like nothing's changed.  I know I'm the musician I am today because of the foundation I laid with Girl Down from 2000 to 2005.

Do yourself a favor and check out Trapbyall.  The world's a better place when music like this happens.

Girl Down- 2000 to 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment