Thursday, April 1, 2010

Say It Ain't So

True or False?

"I don't have enough time to make music."

False.

You have more than enough time every Saturday from 6am to 12pm. Time enough to drive up to your parents' house and have them watch Chase while you track. Even if it means getting creative with acoustic percussion sounds that aren't super loud so you won't wake Chase up if he's napping. Or time enough to track some acoustic stuff for at least an hour every evening. Or time enough to set aside an hour every Sunday to record instead of watching TV. More than enough time.

The title of this post is the title of my favorite Weezer song, which was playing when I first started writing this post.  And I was sitting at work, thinking about making music, and wondering why I don't devote more time to my passion.  Why do I choose to do other things when I'm so drawn towards music?  Why watch TV?  Why surf the internet?  Why not throw on an album, or pick up a guitar, or plunk out a song on the piano, or come up with sounds that mimic drumkits using only household items?  Because that's way more productive than being lazy and a consumer and a bystander and an observer and... a typical, every day, run of the mill person.

It's just so hard, too, though...

In other news, I'm going to be providing some mood music for a fundraiser for A Wish for Animals, a 100% non-profit no-kill rescue for homeless animals.  It's on May 1st and you can find out more info at the event's website:

http://supforapup.com/

It's going to be a great event for an even greater cause, and I hope I see you there!!

1 comment:

  1. There are so many mindless ways to distract ourselves from being productive. I too wish I didn't watch so much TV. You never feel guilty when you've had a busy day doing things that are worthwhile. Habits..good and bad are hard to break

    ReplyDelete