Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Boy Who Cried Band…

I start bands a lot. 

I get excited about the new beginning, and I create an email address, and I make an Instagram, and I post a bunch in the first 2 or 3 or 6 weeks, and I get the dopamine hit from feeling like I’m a part of something fresh and exciting. 

And then it stops. Life moves on. I get busy. I forget. The Instagram page goes dormant. No songs get written. The guitars collect dust. My creative muscles atrophy. 

Until the next project pops into my head…

It’s frustrating. To look back and see all those bands, all that potential, all those opportunities to create… wasted. 

I’m the boy who cries band…

And I’m sure it’s exhausting for the 2 or 3 people I confide in every time. My wife and my friends and anyone else paying attention. 

Or maybe it’s even worse.

Maybe it’s not exhausting. 

Maybe it’s… ignored. 

Because it’s not even worth noticing. 

There’s that whole overthinking thing again. 

So stop being the boy who cried band, Glynn. 

Keep going. Keep writing. Keep picking up the guitar. Keep documenting the process. Keep creating and opening yourself up to the possibility of being great. 

One week down… 

PS. I know I wasn’t completely sold on the whole Nitpicky as a band name thing, but holy hell am I living up to its definition…

No comments:

Post a Comment