Saturday, August 27, 2011

Making It...

I used to want to be a rock star.

Be in a rock band and record music and play shows and start buzz and create groundswell and get fans and play more shows and open for huge bands and capture their fans and record more music and release through an indie and then capture the attention of the majors and sign with one and get a huge bonus and record a major label debut and tour the country and go platinum and win a grammy and be a rock star...

Now I'm older and wiser and still want to be a rock star...

But now "making it" as a rock star has a different meaning.

Write music and record it and play shows and connect with fans and give music away for free and work with artists to create a unique and authentic and one-of-a-kind crowd experience for every show and connect with fans and tell stories and play shows and record more music and give it away for free and play shows and maybe some day have 1000 true fans and treat each and every one of them with respect and love and ask them to pay money for what I've created but only because I assume responsibility for providing them with something from the heart, from my heart, from my heart to theirs, and if I don't live up that responsibility, I lose their fandom so it's up to me to earn it with each and every song written and each and every show played and each and every chord strummed so that I can make a living, a true 9-5 every day, 60 grand a year living playing music and being an entertainer.

That's attainable. Hard work but attainable. And the right steps need to be taken now. And at a certain point there can no longer be a plan B. Otherwise, I'll be 75 and a bitter, bitter old man with the faintest memory of a dream that burned out a long time ago...

Put in the work and pay the dues and do what you know you can, Glynn...

No comments:

Post a Comment