Saturday, July 10, 2010

Run Log #6- It's a mental workout...

I wanted to stop.

Multiple times.

At 4 minutes when my iPod told me I'd only run .32 miles and was on a 12:30/mile pace (I was hoping for around 10:00/mile)

At 8 minutes when I realized I still had 12 minutes left instead of 7.

At 13 minutes when my stomach began to cramp...

Luckily, I didn't.

Today, I realized that training for a marathon is going to be about much more than just getting my body into shape.  In fact, it's probably more about getting my mind into shape.  Learning how to rely on keeping my form to push through the cramps.  Pushing my body farther than I thought I could and realizing that it's not that bad.  Focusing on how much it would suck to pull up and walk only to find out that I'm still tired, only now I'm tired and a quitter and depressed...

I have a long way to go.  But I took an important step today.  I began training my mind to will my body to its best.  And it felt really, really good... 

Soundtrack:
Betrayal is a Symptom- Thrice
Misteryo- Slapshock
Bro Hymn- Pennywise
Linoleum- NOFX
School- Nirvana
Break Stuff- Limp Bizkit
Girl, You Have No Faith in Medicine- The White Stripes

No comments:

Post a Comment