Monday, January 1, 2024

Guitar Practice Log #2

30 minutes on the solo from John Mayer’s New Light. 

I enjoyed learning this solo for a couple reasons. 

First, it’s not super difficult, so getting the notes and fingering was fairly straightforward. 

Second… with the notes being simple, the tone and feel of the solo is hard to replicate because it is all about dynamics. Which is great for me to work on, especially since I don’t consider myself a good soloist to begin with. 

It was fun to tweak the pickup selection, the volume, and tone knobs on the guitar to try to replicate the tone, too. 

It’s weird to think that I’ve been playing guitar for almost 24 years, and I’ve never tried to exactly match a solo before, definitely not in as much detail as I attempted tonight. 

My fingers are definitely out of guitar shape. I need to develop some callouses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment