Monday, July 15, 2013

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

... the correct answer is...

... the Boss.

My dad is a wise man. My dad is the boss.

He was laid off in 1991. So he became the boss. Those shitty circumstances ended up with him starting his own business because times were tough and jobs were scarce and the economy was lean. So my dad lucked into being the boss.

And sometimes you'd rather be lucky than good.

And now I'm a customer service rep and I offer support to sales reps and retail accounts and private consumers because the help is needed and the job is there and I'm good at what I do and I enjoy it... most of the time.

And I'm not the boss, but I am, too, and I should realize that. Everyday I'm the boss of what I do. And sure there's a boss that I answer to, but everyone has someone they answer to, that doesn't make you any less the boss of your own actions.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be a success. I want to be the boss. I want to be like my dad. I want to be looked up to by my son. I want to be comfortable in the present. I want to look fondly at the past. I want to look optimistically to the future.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be happy. I choose to be happy.

Hm. I'm grown up. Am I what I want to be?

No. And yes. And a million times maybe.

It is, but it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment